Monday, July 12, 2010

From Surgery to Medicine

Ahh, seems like ages since I last blogged... Maybe, just maybe, the voice within me resonates to a frequency that shatters all desires and ambitions to just mindlessly blog like some people do on their blogs. Perhaps the perfectionist within me blogs, or at least tries to, about things or events that exemplify and amplify the quality rather than the quantity. Even more imminent is the knowledge that this semester of my 3rd year in MBBS demands an even greater need to excel and push myself harder to do well. It is probably for this reason that I missed out on this year's CF camp, which happened to coincide with my first day of my Medical posting. Disappointed as I was when I found out, I knew that this path of selflessness, sacrifice and integrity was my 'higher calling' to do something in this world.

Well, a week has passed since it all began. Just like that, Week 1 ended. But like many of my friends, we can agree that it was a good one, to say the least (they say that the first week is always the calm before the storm). As the mindset of my peers and I shift towards the other half of the Year 3 syllabus (i.e those who were in Surgery last sem, like me, would now be posted in Medicine and vice versa), we were given a brief overview of what was to be expected. Our group tutor was none other than Dr. Wong Yin Onn, who was renowned for his passion in teaching Internal and General Medicine. Many of us would agree that he is a doctor who commands respect, a physician who emphasizes on finesse, and who pushes us even further to think and correlate basic sciences with the clinical aspects of medicine. He mentioned that by the end of this posting, he hopes that he would have made us into better doctors for the future!

By far, I still miss Surgery. Last sem, my group members and I were under what many of our seniors said were 2 of the best teaching surgeons that Monash had employed. It wouldn't be wrong to say that both Mr. Farouk and Mr. Shwe had somewhat 'drilled' into us the general principles of Surgery, and it was fun learning from their respective perspectives. However, it is time to move on... Medicine should now be the focus of my attention!

Note to self: Push yourself Tim! You're halfway through MBBS, just another half to go! Just don't burn out along the way and as best as you can, maintain the exercise regime you've planned for yourself! Trust God and He'll do the rest, He'll provide and give you the strength you need!

~Tim~

No comments: