Monday, June 21, 2010

Wisdom For Life

My siblings (JC & Eve) and I

AWESOME FRIENDS!!

Well peeps, it's been ages since I last penned down my thoughts on my blog... almost a good ol' 2 months! Let's juz say that for the most of it, I was pretty busy with end-of-sem assignments and preparing for my Formative Written and OSCE exams. It's been a good whole week since my hols started, and let's just say I have not been in Malaysia for almost the entire week; the reason being that I was in S'pore and Indonesia for my annual church camp at Batam Island.

Overall, it was a good and refreshing camp, and I got to do things I never did before: experiencing the thrills of cable-skiing and being on the receiving end of an hour-and-a-half massage at a massage parlour. Yeah, those 2 activities alone kinda burned a hole in my pocket, but thankfully, I still had some cash leftover in case of any emergency. Had an awesome time with my old church friends, and I got to know a few more peeps who made camp even more fun! =) Thanx esp to AWESOME friends Joanne Yan, Hoy Meng, Angie, and Matt Yeo for the memories!!

Now, for the real purpose of this post: to share with one and all what I learned from this camp (yeah, I'm sure you guys are all eager and waiting anxiously for this part! =p) Our camp speaker, Ps. Steven Tan, delivered his series of a total of 8 messages from the book of Ecclesiastes. Yet, he somehow managed to squeeze all those sermons into 4 consecutive days; meaning there were 2 sermons per day! They were unique in the sense that his first sermon was the Conclusion: Fear God and keep His commandments. Although the speaker went through each message pretty fast, he did state some points that made for some good food for thought. Below are the main points I extracted from the rest of the messages:
  1. When it seems that God does not answer our prayers, it may be that He wants us to live with unanswered prayers (or rather the answer of NO or WAIT)
  2. If God lays upon your heart to do something, just DO it (out of love)
  3. We can make a significant difference not by doing just the significant things in life, but by doing the little things faithfully
  4. A man's worth is determined by his worth in God's eyes
  5. On the surface, a man who is wise will ultimately have the same fate as a man who is foolish
  6. It is better not to make a vow than to make one and not fulfill it
  7. Sometimes, silence is golden: DO NOT utter meaningless words... just be still and know that He is God and He is in control
  8. The right attitude is essential in whatever we think, say and do
  9. DO NOT be a "stranger" in your own family
  10. The end of a matter is better than its beginning
  11. Never overestimate nor underestimate yourself - in everything we do, do in moderation
  12. Make full use of every opportunity you get - you may not get a second chance!
  13. Life doesn't meet all our expectations - we need to lower them a little sometimes
  14. Unexpected things happen... expect them!
  15. Live with a generous spirit - it can enact a chain of blessings to many people around you
  16. Youths should "live for the moment"... but they will all be accountable to God eventually
  17. Give yourself to worthy causes!
  18. RWS - Relationship with/Walk with/Spirit of God --> Elements of a healthy Christian life

2 comments:

Rachel said...

ahem.. why didn't you ever intro me to your bro? =) =)

Tim said...

Haha Rachel, why so random? =p