Tuesday, May 26, 2009

X-er-CISE!

The sympathetic nervous system goes into overdrive...

Your heart pumps double or triple its normal rate...

Sweat trickles down your face...

Your face starts to flush...
Your muscles begin to tire...

The anaerobic respiratory pathway takes precedence over the aerobic one...

Lactic acid starts to build up inside your body...

Lactic acidosis leads to respiratory acidosis...

I could go on and on about what goes on during intensive physical exercise, but what's the point? Some of you already know the facts and figures. My point is, you've gotta experience it for yourself to really appreciate the wonders of the human body, especially when it has to utilise its compensatory mechanisms to continue supporting life during exercise, stress, etc...
Homeostasis.


Exercise makes you feel good, even if it means spending about half to one hour of your life per day to do it. No pain, no gain.

Newaez, so the story goes... I went jogging today with a couple of fellow CF-ers... or more specifically, the Aquarium Fishes. Yin & I went for Cell but left earlier as we wanted to jog before it got too dark. After changing in Sunway Campus, we set off at our own pace. The other CF-ers were already jogging. We set our Mp3 players, did our warm-ups and juz ran like nobody's business. Loved the feeling of wind blowing in my face and the Lord knows I needed this. =D Gotta work on my jogging technique more though, as it helps in building my stamina and overall endurance. Perhaps I did not do as much running and jogging before this due to time constraints, lack of motivation, etc. =) Being a medical student means I'm learning a lot more about primary healthcare (prevention before disease(s) set in), and one of the key factors is exercise.

I almost left out the fact that I also did do my home workout too yesterday. Thankfully, it's routine, even though I've toned down a somewhat since I entered into med school. Basically, the regime focuses on building strength, rather than endurance. Currently, I'm training using weights for my biceps, triceps, forearm muscles, shoulder muscles and upper chest. Additionally, there are the norms: sit-ups for abdominal muscles, push-ups, chest stretches, arm rolls, etc.

That being physical exercise, I also had some spiritual exercise too! We had a really good cell meeting earlier before the jog. At first, I thought we would juz be celebrating Aaron's b'day, who turned 21 today (and thus being a member of Club 21 instantaneously!) However, with our 365 Youth pastors there, things turned out a lil' bit differently. Ps. Louisa decided that we should take turns praying for one another, and this was done with someone being in the centre sharing their most significant prayer request and everyone laying his or her hand on the person, hearing God speak, and sharing it in prayerful words to him or her. It was really good... not only was everyone prayed for, but everyone who really listened to God speaking to them was able to impart words of encouragement and wisdom to the person in the centre. (p.s. I requested for good time management)

Don't get me started on mental exercise, please! The reason: I kinda juz realised that over the next 2 days, I'm gonna have 14 lectures!! Arrgghh, only time will tell if I 'die' of boredom, restlessness, chronic neurolecturitis, or all of the above!

For all those perfectionist all-rounders who's been taking note on what I've been sayin, there's always the emotional exercise included too in the full round-up of exercise variants. Well, the people who know me best know I'm usually very emotionally stable. Recently, however, some people have really got me thinking about certain things e.g. aspects in my life, among others. The positive ones I shall try to maintain, the negative ones I shall improve on... hopefully. Unfortunately, no details for now, guyz. Period. =>

Is this the calm before the storm to come? Newaez, over these 2 days, I felt good... About myself, about the people I love and cherish a.k.a. family & friends, about life as a whole. That's all that counts... that's all that matters. Cheerz ppl! =D
~Tim~


No comments: